Tuesday, April 24, 2012


I juxtaposed these collages intentionally. With the exception that they have a different color formula and size [the top being larger than the bottom] they have different spacial qualities. The top for how I see it has a Cubist space with diagonal, pattern, and edge shifts that allows you to move your eye around the fragmented image. Whereas the bottom has a flatness and color play that Hofmann created in his abstract paintings. Will Barnet, who happens to be a Beverly native, always felt strong about creating flatness in his work which comes from his inspiration to Indian miniatures. Though these artists are painters they work in the same tradition as collage and vice versa. It is interesting to see how flatness and color play a major role for developing paintings, whether it is abstract or reality. That is what fascinates me when developing collage, it even allows to me to see invention of space and mood in my paintings. I think it's important for any painter to at least be familiar with collage and understand its history, but that's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment